Friday, November 14, 2008

Larimer County Gives Braun "Cold Shoulder" for Upcoming Financial Literacy Summit

Larimer County, Colorado (where I am based) recently authorized the allocation of approximately $19,000 in public funds to host a Financial Literacy Summit in December to bring together various community resources. As a passionate advocate of this important cause, I reached out to offer my assistance, research and resources, only to get the cold shoulder. Check it out:

Click Here to Read my E-Mail Correspondence with Larimer County

Click Here to Read my Letter to the Larimer County Commissioners

I forwarded this to about 100 other leaders in the community, and here is a just a sample of the over 75 responses I have received so far:

"Good, well-written, and fair response. This is the way a lot of higher-education (and secondary K-12 education acts). It's the ivory tower and again: "Once you eliminate profit as a motive, all that's left is turf."
- Local Attorney

"I have read this correspondence twice, and the content of Ms. Kubin's correspondence angers me and saddens me all at the same time. It upsets me that she obviously did not take the time to learn about you, and to fully understand how beneficial your partnership would be. I feel like she quickly threw the "vendor" label on you, and then dismissed you. It is so frustrating that FOX News will have you come to NYC to learn from you, but folks in our own backyard ignore a wonderful opportunity."
- Local Educator

"This is very disappointing to read. What a fantastic opportunity Larimer County missed! Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident."
- Local Business Leader

"I liked your response. What a dork. But don't you know, that's the idiocy and unfairness we are facing from much of the public sector who is supposed to be looking out for us."
- Local Rancher

"Honestly, it's unfortunate they did not want you to participate. If they had understood your positive impact on Northern Colorado then they certainly would have rethought their decisions. It's a shame too - you weren't making a profit off of the event, you were merely wishing to put it in your documentary; that would only had enhanced the image of Larimer County as a county that is concerned with financial literacy."
- Local College Student

What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your kidding, right? Larimer County should be ashamed of themselves for not BEGGING you to help them!