Saturday, November 22, 2008

UPDATE: Larimer County Financial Literacy Summit

In response to the critical letter I recently sent to the Larimer County Commissioners (see previous blog post) regarding the "cold shoulder" I got when asking to be involved with their upcoming (and taxpayer funded) "Financial Literacy Summit" being held in my own community, Frank Lancaster, the county manager sent me back a very nice letter addressing some of my concerns.

While I am very appreciative of his time and input, Mr. Lancaster also automatically assumed my desired involvement to include the blatant selling of books at the event, which was never my intention (nor have I ever done at any similar events). However, he did not address my chief concern, which is being denied media access to cover the event for our documentary movie about the state of financial literacy (illiteracy), currently in production. It seems as though a double standard exists insofar as they have given interviews to the local newspaper begging the question: Why are we not being given equal access? Click here to see my response letter to Mr. Lancaster, which was sent yesterday.

You may have heard me talking about this controversy last Monday on the local KCOL-600 Morning Show, and I have received queries from several investigative journalists who are closely watching how this event unfolds, considering the use of public funds. I appreciate the hundreds of supportive emails I have received regarding this situation and will continue to keep everyone advised. In the meantime, feel free to send your letters to editors of the various local papers and/or share your concerns in writing with the county commissioners and CSU.

No comments: